Thursday 12 December 2013

Up

The power came back.

The main lights were flickering all morning; by mid-afternoon, they were back to normal. The control panel on the lift was lit up, and I pressed the button. The lift came down, the doors opened, and I went up.

The corridor at the top was empty, but I didn't see any other evidence that anything had happened. I walked through a few corridors, and eventually I found some people.

A group of scientists were in one of the conference rooms. I walked in, and nobody took any notice of me. They were discussing the power failure, and what to do in future to ensure that the backup generator and the main generator never went out at the same time. I coughed to get their attention, and asked if anyone had heard from their superiors about the rest of the facility. They took it as a joke and laughed at the very idea that they'd know about what was happening elsewhere. Then they went back to talking about the generators. I slipped out and went to my old room. It was unoccupied, so I took it back.

What happened below hasn't affected the people up here yet, but it can only be a matter of time before they realise something's wrong. I need to get out of here before anything else happens.

The power's gone again. Getting out of here won't be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.