Thursday 10 October 2013

Maths

I found out which researcher has been here the longest. It's a man called Stefan, a scientist working on the mal field. I asked him whether he knew Sergei. He did; they'd been working together when Sergei had been recalled to the station. I discussed some of the theories Sergei had told me about the mal. Stefan said Sergei had been an invent thinker, but had struggled with the special form of calculus they use to create models. I asked whether I could borrow a book on the topic; Stefan told me that only the most gifted mathematicians could understand the calculus, and that there wasn't anyone currently in the facility with that expertise. I asked again whether I could borrow a book, and he said there weren't any, because the mathematics involved is so esoteric. I must have rolled my eyes, because he became flustered, as if I was questioning his abilities.

I tried to clear the air by asking him a professional question. I asked whether the mal field near the furrow is particularly weak. It's a theory I've been considering to explain my survival after that long in the Yellow. Stefan calmed down and said he'd consult the other researchers. I thanked him and left before any more of my frustration could show.

I don't know what's going on here. I don't see how any research can take place when the researchers don't have the knowledge they need to do their jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.