Friday 5 July 2013

Field

The setup here is extraordinary. As well as recently made, well-maintained vehicles, they have animals. Actual horses and mules so that they can explore deeper into The Sick Land than we ever could with our Jeeps. Apparently, the animals come from local stock, so are more resistant to the mal than one might think. The field team has better equipment than we had too.

I was shown highly sophisticated scientific equipment that clearly breaks the second you take it into the field, and weird, steampunk-looking devices that can be used long after any electronics have stopped working. I'm not sure what sort of thing you measure with an analogue dial attached to a set of bellows, but I'm sure I'll find out. They were loading the equipment into trailers for tomorrow's expedition.

I'll be going with them; they're quite eager for me to show them where I think Victoria is. I'll be happy to. The dangers are lessened with a bigger party, and we won't have to worry about the animals suddenly breaking down. I just hope we find something worthwhile. I feel like they might have hired me specifically for this, and I don't want to let anyone down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.